Everybody needs some hours of sleep so that the body can maintain its stability. When you sleep your brain and other parts are at rest, so sleep is essential for your general wellbeing.
According to physicians, everybody needs to sleep for a maximum of 9 hours a night.
To have a good sleep, you need to make adjustment to your daily habits and most importantly to your diet. Changes to your diet have a vital role in your ability to sleep soundly.
In this article, you’ll discover a few of the best foods that can enhance your sleep quality.
Almonds are a specific category of tree nut that offer several health benefits including sleep.
They lower the risk of health issues such as chronic diseases, type 2 diabetes, heart disease and more. The high concentration of health benefits of almonds is because of its beneficial compounds such as monounsaturated fat, fiber, and antioxidants.
The sleep-regulating hormone melatonin found in almonds can also help in the treatment of insomnia.
Almonds also contain elements like magnesium which may help in the treatment of insomnia and other sleep problems.
The magnesium found in almonds helps in reducing inflammation thus making you sleep better. Furthermore, magnesium also reduces cortisol which is a stress hormone linked to sleep deprivation.
Researchers conducted an examination on rats and almonds which resulted to rats getting a better sleep when they were feed with almonds in contrast to rats who did not eat almonds.
Turkey is highly consumed around the world due to its high protein content. Protein highly affects your muscles by making them relaxed and active. It also stimulates appetite.
Apart from proteins, turkey also has a high concentration of other beneficial nutrients. The nutrients found in turkey can treat insomnia and other related conditions.
Amino acid tryptophan is amongst the compounds found in turkey that help regulate sleep.
Scientific studies have proven that eating sufficient amount of turkey can enhance sleep quality at night.
Passionflower tea is just as its name sounds. This tea offers a lot of health advantages including improved sleep.
Flavonoid antioxidants are among the compounds found in Passionflower tea and they are known treating conditions like inflammation, health attack and more.
Passion flower tea contains an antioxidant called apigenin which has the potential to reduce stress and anxiety.
Frequent consumption of passionflower tea enhances sleep connecting with the brain receptors.
The consumption of passionflower tea before bed treats insomnia and other sleep related problems.
The Right Foods Will Help You Sleep Better
Scientific evidence and research have proven that the foods you eat have a direct affect on your quality of sleep.
Consider adding these foods to your diet on a regular basis.
Sources & Additional Reading
Featured Image Source: Pixabay
1. RNMS, Miriam Rodéhn Fox. “The importance of sleep.” (1999).
2. Zeng, Yawen, et al. “Strategies of functional foods promote sleep in human being.” Current signal transduction therapy 9.3 (2014): 148-155.
3. Abdollahnejad, Fatemeh, et al. “Investigation of sedative and hypnotic effects of Amygdalus communis L. extract: behavioral assessments and EEG studies on rat.” Journal of natural medicines 70.2 (2016): 190-197.
4. St-Onge, Marie-Pierre, Anja Mikic, and Cara E. Pietrolungo. “Effects of diet on sleep quality.” Advances in Nutrition 7.5 (2016): 938-949.
5. Rodriguez-Fragoso, Lourdes, et al. “Risks and benefits of commonly used herbal medicines in Mexico.” Toxicology and applied pharmacology 227.1 (2008): 125-135.
6. Lydiard, R. Bruce. “The role of GABA in anxiety disorders.” The Journal of clinical psychiatry 64 (2003): 21-27.