This post is a guest submission. Please see our Disclaimer, Disclosures, & Affiliate Notice for details.
In today’s polluted air and non-availability of pure food, people are prone to acquire unwanted toxins inside their bodies, creating health risks and unhealthy skin. It becomes necessary at some point, to remove these toxins in a process popularly called detoxification.
Detoxification is a process by which toxins are removed from a human body through physiological or medicinal methods. However, it gets quite challenging to follow detox programs with other day to day activities. Natural methods and remedies are getting very popular lately and prove to be effective at a greater extent.
Types of Detoxification
Detoxification is often used for certain severe health conditions of the body like drug abuse or liver problems. This article covers the effects of toxins on the human body and how to detoxify your body using natural remedies.
Going further there are four types of detoxification:
- Alcohol detoxification: Process by which a heavy drinker’s system is brought back to normal.
- Drug detoxification: It is the first step for the long-term treatment of drug addicts.
- Metabolic detoxification
- Alternative medicine
Symptoms During Detoxification
Detoxification can be very uncomfortable. You can expect to experience any of the following:
- Improper bowel movement or constipation
- Detox headaches
- Skin irritation
- Stomach cramps
Causes of These Symptoms
It is fundamentally human nature to adapt to what you get. So when toxins are inside the body, we adapt to their presence. When you switch to all healthy and nutritious food along with some supplements, the body gets a bit shocked and reacts in different ways. Dehydration can be another cause of these symptoms.
Home Remedies to Detoxify Yourself
The various home remedies you can use to detox your body are:
- Morning liquid intake: It is imperative to improve metabolism for detoxing, and the best way to do is to start your day with warm water and lemon juice. Taking this drink on an empty stomach improves metabolism, and it is easy to do as well.
- Change your oil: The toxic oil consumption is mainly responsible for various health conditions such as heart problems. Replace your everyday oil with olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil or flaxseed oil. Avoid processed vegetable oils such as corn oil as these are highly unnatural substances.
- Blend in a detoxifying smoothie in your diet: Juices or smoothies made of various fruits and vegetables like apple, carrot, lemon, ginger, kale, beetroot and turmeric can help your digestive system work more effectively. Additionally, epsom salt can also be used to detox your body effectively.
- Replace caffeinated drinks with green tea: Tea and coffee are an integral part of many of our lives. But these drinks have adverse effects on your body. So green tea is the best alternative which naturally increases metabolism and improves digestion.
- Say a firm no to packaged food: Packaged food items like juices, pickles or ketchup contain a preservative and processed sugar which has adverse effects on the body.
- Include fiber-rich items in your diet: Food items like brown rice or organic fruits and vegetables should be added to the diet.
- Stay Hydrated: Water, as you know, is responsible for the removal of toxic substances from the body in the form of urine. Drinking enough water not only removes toxins but also helps in weight loss and makes your skin glow.
Types of foods
How you treat your body determines how it will react and function. The consumption of the right food items is the primary way of treating your body right. Here are some of the essential food items to be added to daily meals:
- Organic fruits and vegetables
- Green tea
- Nuts and seeds
- Legumes like beans and lentils
- Right kind of oil
Various other tips to naturally detox your body:
- Have a proper sleep schedule
- Avoid white sugar and white bread intake
- Get good massage
- Avoid antibiotics and instead, use home remedies for minor problems
- Avoid exposure to toxic substances
Benefits of Using Home Remedies
Toxins in your body can affect both acutely and cumulatively. Detoxification helps remove these toxins and give you a healthy body. Natural ways are always better than artificial methods as they possess fewer risks and side effects. They are as effective if taken seriously.
The natural methods or remedies especially including intake of a healthy diet not only removes toxins but also increases metabolism and makes you active. It is also an effective method to lose weight as of course, the metabolism is getting stronger. It improves the functioning of the liver. The detox routine is also useful in improving skin making it more rejuvenating and glowing.
Precautions and Do’s & Dont’s
While natural detox methods are instrumental and helpful in removing toxins from your body, there might be some side effects associated with it. The body is continually flushing out toxins from your body which involves a lot of fluid loss. Dehydration may have many adverse effects on the body and also results in headaches. Drink plenty of water to avoid dehydration.
The detox diet promotes fewer intake of calories which might result in insufficient production of growth hormones and nutrient deficiencies. So make sure to take just the right amount of calories in your diet. Consult a health care expert before starting a detox diet.
Check for the overdose of laxatives and diuretics which are abundant in detox diets. If you’re having some health conditions like diabetes, heart disease, kidney or liver disease, don’t go through a detox diet. Same goes for pregnant and nursing women.
Your body is continuously acquiring various toxins from the air or specific food items. Natural detox is a very beneficial technique to remove toxins from the body. The use of natural methods reduces various risk factors and side effects. With proper care and precautions, detox diets are very helpful in improving metabolism and digestion process.