This post is a guest submission. Please see our Disclaimer, Disclosures, & Affiliate Notice for details.
The Hindus celebrate the birth anniversary of Lord Hanuman on Hanuman Jayanti. Lord Hanuman or Bajrangbali is one of the most believed, respected, worshiped deities of the Hindus. Hanumanji is an incarnation, the Rudra avatar, of Lord Shiva. As per mythology, Hanumanji was born to Anjana and King Kesari. Anjana is said to have been an Apsara who was cursed to be born on Earth as an ape, which would be lifted only if she gave birth to an incarnation of Lord Shiva. Anjana spent 12 years doing penance and worshiping Lord Shiva, after which she was blessed by Lord Shiva with the birth of Lord Hanuman. In India, Lord Hanuman is said to have led a life of celibacy. However, in the Cambodian epic poem based on the Epic Ramayana,’ Khmer Reamker’, He is said to have had a mate by the name of Suvannamaccha.
is celebrated on Purnima (full moon) in the month of Chaitra (April-May) or Vaisakha (May-June), as per the Hindu calendar. However, different parts of India celebrate Hanuman Jayanti at different times of the year and celebrate it in different ways, in Telangana and Andhra Pradesh, Hanuman Jayanti starts on Chaitra Purnima and is celebrated for 41 days which ends on the 10th day of the Shukla Paksha of Vaisakha month and so on.
Significance/Importance of Hanuman Jayanti Puja
Lord Hanuman was an ardent and exemplary devotee of Lord Rama (Lord Vishnu’s avatar) and His role in the epic Ramayana is among the central characters. Lord Hanuman stood resolutely with Lord Rama in His war against the powerful Asura King, Ravana, who had abducted Sita Devi, Lord Rama’s wife. The powerful ways in which Lord Hanuman helped Lord Rama in every step of the way in the war is commendable and recognized by all devotees of Lord Rama and Lord Hauman
Lord Rama epitomized Truth and so it is said that Lord Hanuman ensures victory for anyone who is truthful in his/her intentions. Hanuman ji puja benefits are many: He bestows blessings of power, success, prosperity, glory, strength and relief from sufferings, diseases and misfortunes. The Lord removes all negative energies from the atmosphere. He protects from evil/negative forces and malefic planetary effects. Lord Hanuman can alleviate all sufferings be it physical, mental, or emotional. Like the lines in Hanuman Charisa says “Buddhīnatanujānike, sumiraupavanakumāra।
balabudhividyādehumohiharahukalesavikāra॥”, which translated to English means “Knowing that I am devoid of intelligence, I remember Hanuman, the son of Vayu (Pavan). Give me strength, intelligence and knowledge and remove/take away all ailments (kalesa) and impurities (bikāra).” Lord Hanuman is referred to as the God of the Kagyu and also it is said that He still lives on planet Earth. He protects all who have pure and clear intentions.
How to do Hanuman Puja
The Hanuman Jayanti celebration includes the worship of Lord Hanuman. To invoke Lord Hanuman’s energies and blessings on this unique and auspicious day have many benefits. Devotees visit Hanumanji temples to offer puja or do it at their residence too. Lord Hanuman puja Vidhi is not too elaborate and comprises mainly of chanting of Hanuman Charisa, Hanuman Puja mantra, reading or hearing the SundarKandRamayan, etc. Devotees across India follow different Hanuman puja Vidhi on Hanuman Jayanti. However, it is essential to understand that the worship of Lord Hanuman is incomplete without chanting praises of Lord Rama. Devotees get the Hanuman Puja Vidhi done by a pujari/pandit (priest), but it can be done by self also.
Before commencing the Hanuman Puja Vidhi, it is better to arrange the Hanuman puja items, which is needed for this Hanuman Puja Vidhi.
Hanuman Jiki Puja Samagri or Hanuman puja items:
- Which oil is used for Hanuman puja? – The oil which is used in Hanuman Puja is Mustard Oil. Jasmine oil is used as a perfume/scent for pleasing Lord Hanuman as He is said to like the Jasmine aroma.
- Sindur/Sin door or Vermillion
- Oil Lamp
- Betel Leaves Garland – the garland should be either of 21,31 or 51 Betel Leaves
- Flowers – Jasmine, Dhatura or Hibiscus
- Sweets like Laddu and fruit like Banana and whatever other fruit the devotee wishes. Water to offer. Often Gur (Jaggery) and Chana can also be offered.
- Flowers for decoration and utensils like metal plate and glass for offerings.
Lord Hanuman Puja Vidhi
1) In front of Lord Hanuman Idol or Image light a Mustard oil lamp and chant – Om Shree Ramdut HanumateNamah: DeepamDarshayami
2) Coconut, Betel Leaves garland and Mustard oil to be offered and chant
3) Offer Sindur/Sindoor/Vermilion to Lord Hanuman and chant – Om Shree Ramdut HanumateNamah: GandhamSamarpayami.
4) Take the flowers specified in the Hanuman Jipuja Samagri and chant – Om Shree Ramdut HanumateNamah: PushpamSamarpyami.
5) Light the Dhoop and chant – Om Shree Ramdut HanumateNamah: Dhoopam Agrapayami
6) Do Pradakshina or circumambulate while reciting the Hanuman Charisa or by chanting the mantra – Om HanumanteNamah. Post this, if the Hanuman Charisa has not been recited, then sit in front of the puja altar and recite it.
7) Sweets, fruit, water to be offered to Lord Hanuman and chant – Om Shree Ramdut HanumateNamah: NaivaidyamNivedayami.
8) Bow down before Lord Hanuman, pray and express gratitude.
The other way of doing Lord Hanuman worship on Hanuman Jayanti is to read the Ramayana or hear it being recited or read about the many qualities and pastimes (Leelas) of Lord Hanuman. This should be done with focus and concentration and not casually, almost like a meditation.
Hanuman Puja Mantra
There are a few mantras that are chanted for garnering different blessings of Lord Hanuman. The Hanuman Puja Mantra which is used are:
Om Shri HanumateNamah॥
The other mantra is – Om Shree Ramdut HanumanteNamah.
Ayla Anderson is an avid reader and an enthusiastic blogger who writes articles on home improvement, business, Family and beauty. She is also an MBA student who spends much of her time giving advice to newly small businesses on how to grow their businesses. You can follow her on Twitter.